I have the same problem, and I'm sure it's not RF-related, since  sometimes
when I've gotten disconnected I've been out of the shack (and not
transmitting!) for some time.

There are a couple of things to consider here: First, the Internet is not
guaranteed to be 100% reliable to all locations (or in fact, generally
speaking, to any locations) for the kinds of things we're talking about.
There is a lot of infrastructure between your computer and the telnet
cluster itself, and depending on a lot of things (more appropriate to an
"Internet Infrastructure" reflector than here, so I'll skip that stuff), if
any one of those little pieces shuts down you may loose your connection.

The second thing is that it's possible that some clusters require some
activity on the end-users part to keep the connection up.  This is not just
a response to a low-level connectivity check, but actual user input. The
reason is that if the cluster has limited resources (memory, CPU, etc.)
they might not want to keep lots of inactive users connected.

I don't run a telnet cluster, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who
does as to whether they've got an inactivity timer available on the telnet
connection to timeout inactive users.

>FWIW I have the same timeout problem as the others and it is definitly
>_not_ rf
>related because it only happens at a computer in my house which is 200
>yards from
>the shack.  The shack is not operational at that time, therefore no rf.
>
>The shack uses a two meter line which is rock solid.
>
>This would dismiss rf as the culprit for most timeout problems.

73,
        David - K2DBK