On what I call the DX Spots window (as opposed to the Packet Window), right
click with your mouse.  You'll see a variety of options, including DXCC
colors, WAZ colors and WPX colors.  I called them "modes" but the program
description uses "colors".

I think I've found my problem (it always seems to work that way....look at
something for awhile, then ask for help and figure it out).  The culprit is
in Preferences/Packet1.  I checked "Ignore 'Gray' spots".  I simply wanted
to make things less cluttered.  In the case of XF4DL, I'd already worked
another XF4 years ago, so I had that covered for WPX purposes.  So even
though I needed XF4 on, say, 30 meters, I didn't need it for WPX (and 30
meters isn't valid for WPX anyway).  XF4DL would appear in a red bar on the
DXCC colors (mode), but when I switched to WPX colors I'll bet XF4 was
"gray" and, therefore, ignored.  Gone.  So when I went back to DXCC colors,
it was also gone.  It's a theory, I might be wrong about the cause.

I've been testing my theory by unselecting the "Ignore 'Gray' spots" box in
Preferences/Packet1 and so far all spots in DXCC colors seem to stay even
after switching to WPX colors and back.  So what's a little clutter, you
should see my shack!

73, Joe KQ3F