Yes
This same thing happened to me. Almost exactly as you describe.  ( I will
leave out the *four letter explicitives*.)
I described this to PAUL at Dayton and he told me this was impossible. For
me it happened while N8S was on and I lost a lot of contacts. I had to go
back and dupe most of them.As you have found out, after you try to close the
program and it tells you it can't  be saved, you really f****d. You can even
say no and get back into the program to hand write the last contacts. I
started backing up all my important QSOs on paper log.

I suggested they get rid of the Demo mode and make a version maybe excludes
certain features. But not being able to save...??   There is a lot of free
logging programs and have better support and features than this one, so why
the demo mode. The most value in this program is in the updates which are
done by AD1C and that's why I stay with the software. If the updates to the
databases were done with the enthusiasm of Paul, this would be go to the
same place as DX Desktop.

So you might have someone in your computer that you don't know about.  I
suggest you run a offsite program by microtrend and run house call and see
if it finds anything major. Start it at night when you are ready to go to
bed as it take a long time for it to scan everything.

The other bugs I think the program currently has and Paul won't address:

Random going into: " ignore Mode in real time"
Spots/sort by frequency/    stupid program toggles between the lowest freq
and current freq. Very annoying. Older versions of DX4WIN didn't behave this
poorly.
And the good old switching to Demo mode without a reason.

73 and good luck.

N8DX