On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Paul van der Eijk <pvandere...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> That is what I do already inside the code to avoid a second copy of
> DX4WIN running.

Now that I've actually tried it (7.07.02) when I try to start up a
second copy it just transfers focus to the currently running copy.
Sorry for the incorrect assumption.

> I also open the license file in shared mode, but I don't think the code
> will ever reach that point.

The only way I've ever seen "Demo" mode entered was at startup when
the starting directory for DX4WIN was wrong.

Are people actually seeing it go into Demo mode, or is it just
refusing to save the log file?

I ask this because there's a "feature" in Windows Vista that marks
files on removable media (like thumb drives, or USB hard drives)
read-only after they've been opened for a while. My XYL sees this:
open a word document on the thumb drive, edit for a while, then try to
close it. You get a permission error, and the original document is
GONE.

Microsoft, rather than fixing this, blames the victim and says that
the files must be copied to the hard drive before being edited:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&tid=f7a01f32-8177-47b8-93de-9bd66ca62f29&cat=en-us-office&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

If you're keeping your log on anything but your "C" drive, and you're
running Vista, this may be what's happening.

If not, never mind. :-)
73,
    -Rick
--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA