Keep-alive is only an issue if the cluster you connect to requires it.
Basically, some clusters will disconnect you if they don't see anything
from your system within a certain amount of time. If that's the case,
you'll need to have a keep-alive set, but you'd still see spots coming
in for the first few minutes until the time-out kicked in.

Which cluster are you connecting to, and do you see spots coming into
the packet window?

You might want to try something like the K1TTT-1 cluster which is tied
to a skimmer, meaning that you'll get a pretty much constant flow of
spots, especially now with the WAE CW contest in progress.