Dwayne,

I would highly recommend you go to:
http://dx4win.ad1c.us/appnotes/lotw.html
and follow Jim, AD1C's excellent instructions for downloading your DX4WIN
log entries to LOTW. If you have not done so in the past I suppose you could
download your complete log. But remember the contacts you will be converting
to an ADIF file then entering into LOTW will depend on what you have
selected in the little LoTW box on the full main window of DX4WIN. If Y then
that QSO will be added, if N then it won't.

The DXL file is your saved QSO's in the log. It is NOT used for creating the
LOTW files. If you mess up the DXL file and have not saved a copy in a safe
place then your previous log entries will be corrupted or lost and gone
forever. As a bare minimum you should go to the main FILE menu, select
PREFERENCES, open the QSO tab, and assign a safe place in the SECONDARY
BACKUP DIR box. I use an ext HD for this. But whenever I am going to perform
some function such as doing an update using Jim's
http://dx4win.ad1c.us/updater/index.html sub program, or entering a contest
ADIF file into DX4WIN, or doing a LOTW download, etc, I also save my DXL
file to a thumb drive. I save the DXL file to a thumb drive quite
frequently. It is very easy to do. Plug your thumb drive into a USB port. A
little window will open asking if you wish to look at the files on the thumb
drive. Use this window to identify the drive number your PC has assigned to
the thumb drive (D: E: M: etc), then you can close the little window. Then
in DX4WIN go to FILE and select SAVE AS. A widow will open showing your DXL
file (ve6qx.dxl). Using your mouse right click on this DXL file. Another
small window will open. Then select SENT TO: and select the thumb drive and
COPY. If you already have a DXL file on the thumb drive you can tell it to
copy and replace or copy and keep both files (the last one you previously
saved and the current one). Your DXL file is now safe on your thumb drive.
It just takes four quick clicks and after you do it a couple of times it
will just take you a second to do it.

One last thought. Once you have uploaded your ADIF file to LOTW and after it
is processed you can get your report back from LOTW showing what QSO's you
have matches with and additional info about them (state, county, zone, grid,
etc). This is under Jim's instruction: Downloading the confirmations from
ARRL. You will get a report back from LOTW with the same ID you used to
upload your ADIF file. For example, say I uploaded my latest upload file I
named LOTW_10012014.adi (This is the date of the upload). I will get back
from LOTW the report file named LOTWREPORT10012014.adi. DO NOT MIX UP THESE
TWO FILES!!!! The very first time I did the LOTW upload I accidently used my
upload file (example LOTW_10012014.adi) as the report file and uploaded it
back into DX4WIN. When I checked my log I noticed everyone of my QSO's
showed confirmed by LOTW but none of them showed the extra info (state,
county, zone, etc) I expected to see. Then I realized what I had done. I had
saved my DXL file to the thumb drive after doing the upload to LOTW. So I
replaced my now corrupted DXL file with the known good one and then uploaded
the correct LOTWREPORT10012014.adi to DX4WIN and all was well. Had I not
saved my DXL file along every step of the way I would have been in BIG
trouble. So be careful to not mix up the file you send to LOTW with the
report file that they send back to you. They will have the same name except
the report will have REPORT as part of its name and will have a later
date/time. They appear very similar and if you are not careful they can get
mixed up.

Good luck
Alan, K7ACZ