From: DX4WIN [mailto:dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Ernie
Walls
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:25 AM
To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Dx4win] JT44 mode issue!

I still use DX4Win, despite the authors complete lack of interest for the
past five or so years.

But the problems I don't like with the program continue to add, and have
just about reached the limit of my patience.

For instance, there is no way to easily maintain existing name and QTH
information in the 'Notes for this QSO' field when there is a change in
either/both the callsign owners name or, much more commonly, his QTH. Not
life threatening but, for me, irritating. Yes, you can use the 'Notes for
this call' box, but that's messy, to say the least.

Then, I found out (as we all did) that DX4Win will not record a proper
signal report for JT type modes - so I make do with manually recording it in
the 'Notes for this QSO' box, and handwriting the report in the body of my
QSL card - I have a 'Comment' line on my card, so it doesn't look 'too' bad!

Then, I found out that I could not correctly record my JT9 QSOs - again a
workaround, I make do with calling them 'JT44' QSOs, for the sole purpose of
'housing' them within DX4Win. But the QSL card was now looking distinctly
messy before my 'manual intervention' corrects the mess. Yes, I could use an
external label printing program - but why should I have to?

Today, quite by accident (in fact, absolutely by accident) I found that, in
recording 'JT9' QSOs as 'JT44' QSOs, that a JT44 QSO has no effect (again, I
repeat, NO effect) on my DXCC totals - it does not update them. Unless
someone can point out the error of my ways - in which case I will gladly
stand corrected. So, I temporarily recorded all JT9 (JT44) QSOs as RTTY
QSOs, and found two band/mode fills. Remember, when you are a keen DXer,
small fish are sweet!

The bitterness/frustration that you can possibly note in my writing is
because a wonderful program, that I still fundamentally really like, is
becoming a bit of a laughing stock among my contemporary VK mates, all of
who have urged me to 'move on' to a more modern logger, or at least one that
is still supported. Because NONE of them have these sorts of problems.

In fact, it is wasn't for the sensational efforts of Jim AD1C over the past
five years and the helpful hints to all over a long period from Guy ON4AOI,
I fear DX4Win would have already fallen over - 'cause it is patently clear
that Paul does not give a damn.

So, two questions -

(1)  Can anyone verify that recording a QSO in 'JT44' mode doesn't update
DXCC totals - or, if it does, tell me where I went wrong, and

(2)  Does anyone actually know if Paul is still alive, and could ask him
what his intentions for DX4Win are. If it's to take no further effective
interest, just tell us. We could all move on. That's the easy bit.

Sorry for the 'cry' - but, by God, it's getting so frustrating.

Ernie Walls VK3FM
vk...@wallsy.com.au<mailto:vk...@wallsy.com.au>
Mobile 0418 301 483