This is very repeatable.  I had it happen again.

Find a QSO in your log with a state/county.  remember the call.

Now log a fake QSO with a fake call.

Go bak to the QSO you just logged, and change the call to the other
call, then TAB.  State/county should populate from the previous QSO.
Without saving, change the state/county to something else.  Now type
ENTER to save the changes.  You'll get the new call with the old
state/county.

Change the state/county again, then type ENTER.  State will change,
county will not.

Change the county a third time, then ENTER.  County will finally change.