Jim,

If I understand you correctly, you have two logs. ONE with the group names
but not the latest QSOs, and number TWO without group names with the latest
QSOs.

In this case:
Open log ONE
Delete all QSOs (QSO | Multiple QSO operations)
Merge log TWO (File | Import | Merge DX4WIN log)

File | Save As using a different name just to make sure,

--Paul, KK4HD

PS I have no idea how this can happen, except for importing a log into a
new log that did not have any groups defined.