> CCS wrote
>
> Greed - the desire to improve one's situation - is not a failing; it
> is a virtue.

True. As craig said, we don't have the proper words to describe the good
form of greed vs. the common connotation of greed. Well, we do have the
word 'avarice'.

"Greed is good!"
I have heard that phrase twice.
Once was from Michael Douglas in "Wall Street"
The other time was during a competitive discussion, :) , with the most
die-hard republican that I have ever met.

> > However, without sufficient communication, capitalism
> > can burn itself out because there are no feedback mechanisms.
>
> It is not true that there are _no_ feedback mechanisms.  They just
> are not as effective when communication is poorer.

The feedback mechanisms took a while to kick and ultimately resulted in
government intervention. This is because nobody else was powerful enough
to intervene.

> > This is why we have had government intervention.
>
> No, that is not why there is government intervention.  That is only
> an excuse.  Governments intervene because those who have the power
> consider it to their advantage to do so.

Yeah. I wasn't saying we needed government intervention. I said that is
why we had it.

Viking Coder