>I would like to know what the deal is with Spam. I plan to use
>some email addresses that I bought online and I want to make
>sure its legal. Can somebody please tell me what the law is?

>I was told that if I gave the reader the option to unsubscribe
>it would not be considered Spam, is there any truth to this?

>Does anyone know what happends if you are accused of spaming?

you can't expect to be taken seriously in business if you resort to
spamming. Spamming has a very bad reputation. You generally need to email
millions of people to make 0.00001% in sales, annoying countless amounts of
people in the process. Sure you can make money, but at the expense of losing
your soul ;)

http://www.msnbc.com/news/713079.asp?cp1=1
http://www.hk.co.kr/times/200112/t2001121818285740110.htm
http://www.mofo.com/news/pr.cfm?concentrationID=19&ID=675&Type=1
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/12484
http://www.smh.com.au/icon/0202/16/news1.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/15/2224229&mode=thread
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-850761.html

of course all of this is irrelevant if the people on the list have
specifically given permission for their email addresses to be added. There
are some genuine lists out there, however they tend to be small in size
(<10,000) and are generally targeted to a specific topic. Does your email
list contain 1,000 addresses or 1,000,000 addresses? Were you given any
"do's and don'ts" of what you can and cannot email them?

Regards,
Phil.