Dear Craig (Spencer),

>JP, I think SD's theory amounts to saying that if the e-gold is
>in some special accounts then it doesn't count as "being in
>circulation".

I have a related theory to SnowDog's theory.

There is one e-gold Bullion Special Purpose Trust.  It holds
a bunch of gold in allocated storage in Zurich, London, and
Dubai (listed in reverse alphabetical just for fun) and none
in Geneva that I'm aware of.  (I don't know where JP got
Geneva, but Swiss is Swiss.;-)  I think we all agree that there
is such a trust, Reid has done us the favor of pointing out
where to read all about the trust, and the Examiner pages say
that the gold bullion held in Zurich, London, and Dubai, is
held by the trust.  So far, so good.

Now, we have two categories of gold assets: those gold assets
that back the e-metal in circulation (e-gold's gold product as
opposed to e-gold's silver also called e-silver), and those
gold assets that are assets of e-gold, Ltd.  Why are these gold
assets all held by the Special Purpose Trust?

Because it is a pain in the ass to get allocated storage in the
first place.  Getting two allocated storage accounts at all
three locations would be a nightmare.  Further to this point,
if e-gold, Ltd., can allocate the gold it holds by internal
memoranda, so that the people running the show know whether
the gold they hold is for covering their liabilities like they
have promised to do, or is an asset of e-gold, Ltd., itself
that is not covering e-metal in circulation, then they don't
need more than one allocated storage account with each vault.
They also don't need to move bars of gold around, which is
good, because that is another cost.  Avoiding costs and living
like monks, eating sawdust and drinking recycled water, the
e-gold system is designed to be a low cost system.

Now, JP says, the balance sheet should balance the assets on
the left against the liabilities on the right.  I say, and
SnowDog says, no, assets = liabilities plus equity.  A balance
sheet that does not show owners' equity is incomplete.  The
e-metal balance sheet is incomplete.

Further to this point, the "e-metal balance sheet" shown at
 http://e-gold.com/examiner.html is telling us the assets of
gold held by the e-gold Bullion Special Purpose Trust.  For
whom is that gold held?  That gold is held by the Special
Purpose Trust for e-gold., Ltd.

Okay, then whose liabilities are shown across the way on
that e-metal balance sheet?  Those are the liabilities of
e-gold, Ltd.

What, then, does it mean "e-metal in circulation (liabilities)"?

It means that so much e-gold gold, silver, platinum, and
palladium is in circulation as liabilities to e-gold, Ltd.

What about the e-gold that e-gold, Ltd., has been paid by me
and y'all?  That e-gold is an asset of e-gold, Ltd.  Therefore
it is not under the heading "liabilities."

Is it still e-metal?  Yes, I think so.  Is it still in
circulation?  I don't know.

How much of it is there?  In grams:  19105.9 grams.  In
ounces:   614.27  In dollars, at $326.50 per ounce:
  $200559.155

What happens if e-gold, Ltd, spends some of its e-gold to,
say, OmniPay, and OmniPay writes a check to pay for some
cost that e-gold, Ltd., has to pay?  Why, then OmniPay has
the e-gold in OmniPay's account, and that e-gold is back
in circulation.  OmniPay turns around and sells it on the
open market to get dollars or other fiat money.  As soon
as the e-gold leaves the account of e-gold, Ltd., it is back
in circulation - and is now a liability to e-gold, Ltd., that
must be "backed" by gold.

What happens if e-gold, Ltd., comes to the end of another
month and assesses storage fees on all and sundry?  A bunch
of e-gold, approximately one twelfth of one percent, goes
out of "circulation" as a liability to e-gold, Ltd., and
becomes e-gold held as an asset.  Almost immediately, if
automation is in place, some of that goes back into
OmniPay to pay the bills of e-gold, Ltd., that are known
(such as monthly fees at JP Morgan Chase in London, for
example).

Why is JP May fussing over $200K of gold held in the
allocated storage accounts of the Special Purpose Trust?
Because he rocks.  (!)  <grin>

For whom is the Examiner page?  I think it was built for
the benefit of and to the preferences of e-gold, Ltd.,
and its owners/operators.  They want a page where they can
go to see how much gold they have, and where it is, and
they want a page where they can see how much of that is
their gold and how much is in circulation among all the
other cool people out there who have e-gold accounts.

What else could this gold that is "too much" represent?
I have no other theories to advance.  I think the
theory I have advanced covers the existing facts.

What about the silver, platinum, and palladium that is
"too much"?  Same deal.  Why are all the different metals
"out of balance"?

Because e-gold, Ltd., collects fees from users of
e-gold silver (e-silver) in e-gold silver (e-silver), and
fees from users of platinum in e-platinum, and fees from
users of e-palladium in palladium.

So, if e-gold, Ltd., were not willing to accept fees in
its own e-metals, that would be shocking.  But, as it is
and does accept such payment in e-metal form, it has to
have more assets of metal in the Special Purpose Trust than
it has liabilities to cover the e-metal accounts of users
other than itself.

Are we violating the Copernican Principle by supposing
that there are special accounts in the e-gold system which
have non-liability status?  I don't think so.  I think it
is obvious that there have to be accounts which have
special status: e-gold, Ltd., is not rich, but it does have
assets.  Some of those assets are e-metal.

Is the horse dead yet?

Regards,

Jim
 http://cambist.net/