Hi Jonathan,

I don't get the difference between a debit card and a credit card with a
zero credit limit? Also, I'm sure I've seen Australian banks (eg. Bendigo
bank) offering Visa debit or credit cards for free or certainly no more
than AUD$24 per year. (I'm certain the Bendigo Bank offering was a debit,
not a credit card, but that was over a year ago.)

Why would someone want to pay hundreds of dollars for a Visa or Mastercard
debit card? (Aside from the fifty US dollars offered for various other
debit cards that have been advertised.) I understand the privacy issue, but
you can still legally (and easily) open an Australian bank (or other
financial institution) account (or any number of accounts) without
providing your tax file number. (Of course you do have to have the usual
"100 points" of identification documentation to open an account, but it is
not too difficult, I think.)

What essential difference in operation is there between a Visa credit card
operating with a positive balance and a Visa debit card used the same way?