At 12:41 PM 10/9/2002 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>[...]
>   If Ayn Rand was still around she'd probably SHOOT anyone who napster'd
> a copy of one of her novels or movies.  If I use photoshop without paying
> for it for awhile, I openly call that THEFT.  Because that's what it is.
> THEFT.  Private property ... like it or lump it! :)

You can call it "theft", if you like, and the Napsterites can call it
"freedom", but you're both
being deliberately imprecise, so as to ride the coattails of an argument
you're unable to make (or win)
head-on.

As several people have pointed out, theft has a traditional (and relatively
precise) meaning,
which doesn't include the making of copies without a copyright owner's
permission.

Stealing a copy of Photoshop means walking out of CompUSA with the CD
hidden under your coat.

Infringing Adobe's copyright would be a better way to describe what you're
doing if you make a copy
of someone else's Photoshop CD (whether you use it for even 10 minutes - or
not at all).

Both of those activities - theft and copyright infringement - are currently
illegal in the United States, though copyright infringement isn't
necessarily criminal. Both activities involve interfering with what the
law currently defines as another person's property - but the scope and
nature of those property rights
are neither divinely inspired nor unchangeable. Our local governments'
definitions of property and
property rights depend a lot to do with what our current ideas are about
what sorts of people and what
sorts of activities deserve to be compensated, and which don't.

Now, the fact that there's a lot of politics involved in the decisions
about who gets paid when doesn't mean that it works out very well for each
of us to decide on our own which laws we're going to follow
and which we're not - things go a lot smoother if we can count on each
other to act within the
guidelines we've agreed upon, and to change the guidelines if they're
stupid instead of just ignoring them.

So if you want to say that people who infringe copyrights are lawbreakers
(just like people who drive too fast or don't report all their income or
don't tell the Man about all their guns), you'll get no argument from
me. But if you want to call them thieves, you leave me wondering what's so
weak about your position on
the issue that you're trying to hide behind distortions and misunderstanding.

--
Greg Broiles -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- PGP 0x26E4488c or 0x94245961