>I say it is a poor joke, because in context it
is potentially racist, suggesting that
Vietnamese refugees and other Asians are

There hasn't been a Vietnamese refugee come to
Australia in about 20 years that I'm aware of,
excluding those poor souls who were stuck in
Hong Kong detention camps for about 15 years in
the 70s and 80s.

>continually in the news as responsible for
much of our crime although they are in reality
only a small percentage of Australia's
population, but a larger percentage of the
population of some crime-ridden suburbs of
Sydney and

However I would make the observation that high-
tech crimes (skimming, dumping, phone cloning,
ATM duping etc.) seem to have a higher
proportion of Asian offenders (judging by media
coverage that is). A lot of this is because
serious criminal syndicates from Malaysia and
Indonesia like to send groups of operatives to
Australia to scam away until they are caught
and then replace them with others who haven't
been identified. The penalties for first time
offenders are relatively paltry here and there
are enough tourists from those nations to make
them less conspicous.

>possibly Melbourne - although one seems to
hear less of this in Victoria than of Sydney.
Maybe local (Melbourne) media like to portray
big, bad Sydney as being the centre of all
crime?

No, I think Victoria fights well above it's
weight when it comes to serious crimes.

>Anyway, despite the undoubted existence of
Asian crime syndicates, I think it is being a
bit unfair and prejudicial to Asians to make
such a statement. So I will (interpret |
consider) it (or deem it to be) as a
poor, but innocent joke to maintain the joker's
integrity in my mind. On the other hand, he is
free to his own opinion and preference even if
it might be racist.

The reason I found it so funny was that some
years ago I was living in a share house (where
none of us was particularly Asian). After a
great deal of debate over what name to get the
telephone reconnected under we decided to use
the name Mr. Ng. When we were watching the news
that night they reported that Mr. Ng had been
caught at the airport with several kilos of
Heroin stuffed down his boxers (or something
similar) and we all thought it was a rather
funny co-incidence, as my friends ran and hid
their drug stashes 'just in case'.

And guess who's now an Ebay Power Seller? Check
out my current book, DVD and CD auctions:

http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=dwarf_fighter&sort=
0&page=1&rows=200&since=1&showpics=1&stab=30

New Books at Discount Prices
  --- Send the right message ---

        + Today freemail +

Get your free, private email address at