Hi,

> Actually, that is a problem which has already been solved.
> You can work with Interglobal Paratronics for your merchant
> services needs.  We accept payments by check, money order,
> and wire, then pay you gold.  Of course, the rates can vary
> depending on what sort of clientele you bring.  If we get
> even one bounced item, or a money order fails to verify
> before deposit, we raise the rate quite a bit.

I don't fully understand this. you are providing an in -xchange service that
allows us to send you our client's remittances directly rather that
pre-processing them, but you raise the fees on us based on one bad
transaction? That seems harsh. We have never had a bad money order ever.
Never a lost check or cash in the mail and the only bad transactions were
due to Paypal. So would it not be more prudent to allow us to rectify a bad
draft by paying in for it rather than penalizing all future business with
higher fees becasue of one bad apple?

Money orders are quite anonymous, so i do not see the clientele having any
bearing on this as the source is always unknown in the end, as you should
understand that by now with even a cursory look at my business.

What is the fee overall?

> > and people still wonder why all those internet companies
> > failed and are failing?
>
> Those of us who were students of entrepreneur Ed Williams
> know why.

I will look into this tomarrow.

>Most businesses that fail do so for one of
> two reasons.  Either they fail for lack of effective business
> planning or they fail for lack of capital.

I agree in 95% of cases. I have experienced business closures more than one
time in the past due to both reasons. And in the end I have learned that it
is possible to completely ignore both rules of thumb and succeed. I am
living proof of that. (southpark quote) Not that one's first attempt, or
even fifth will defy all rules of business physics. But don't just discard
it out of hand. I assume that is why you said "most".

Rule #3. Sheer willpower and persistense will replace rules #'s 1 and 2 with
luck. Luck by force or saturation of implementation. ( you know the old
adage that says you have to be at many places at once to be at one at the
right time.)

>The ones
> that fail for the second reason often fail within a year
> of start-up.

The one main business I ran 3 years, I started for $75. I quit becasue it
burned me out and I no longer had the will to fight the underfunding and I
was still in high school so that was a factor also. It could have succeeded
in the long run if I had not burned out.

The one I run now was started for $49.95 and is still going strong after
years. It funded itself.

>The ones that fail for lack of planning can
> fail at any time, since planning is a continual task.

I agree with this. We are treading ground in search of... and the most
difficult thing is where/what to grow into next. Where to market the service
next? We could talk about this offlist sometime. There is a lot of
opportunities all around and although we try to focus on the offering and
not be too broad, our heads are in many places listening and absorbing
everything for future use.

> Also, many companies that fail from lack of planning do
> so because they don't have a second product.  They do
> one thing well enough to have a business, but they
> don't do anything else.

And the same cound be said for the opposite. I think a better way to put
this is that a business thrives on the staple product or service and tries
to expand from there. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not. but without the
staple they are flailing. Something needs to fund the expansion, the R&D,
the testing, the failed product offerings. otherwise one is in a situation
that is a drain on resources, be it the investors or the savings.

>Very often, niches shift and
> the environment won't support the one thing after a while.

I agree here. Complacency can hurt. Cockiness can ruin you, but then there
is the 5%. Take coke. these people can do no wrong. They can ruin whole
entire economies and brush it off over time like a bad day. Some products
won't die. They are positioned well and become a staple of life. That is
golden if you can find that.

> By the way, this message is also to point out that my
> company provides business planning services.

I am all ears. I see that you are articulate. No doubt there. Sometimes I
wonder where you find the time to rebut posts like you do. I looked over
your site and appreciate the understatement, but wonder why you claim to do
so many things? Is this a hobby, or the real deal? I am not familiar enough
with your business to know.

Lately I am not impressed with the sheer number of people who "also" do web
design. "I run IBM... oh and also do web design on the side" That is so
tired, if I see that again I may have to excuse myself to the lavoratory.

Respectfully,

Gordon
www.katzglobal.com
Anonymous hosting (tm) Solutions
we do web design too. No suprise there... if anyone wants some of the work
(and is offshore) we are happy to hire you full time if you are good and
reasonably priced.
Inquire within [EMAIL PROTECTED] :-)