Dear Robert,

Thank you so much for the detailed information, I really appreciate it!

> So, while I agree that the Zakat is based on pure gold, I dare to venture
> that many of the coins in circulation were not made of 24 carat purety.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, put the rule of the nisab of the
zakat to be 20 dinars. So, if it is agreed upon that the nisab is 85 grams
of 24ct gold, then the Dinar should be of 4.25 grams of 24ct gold. Or, it
can be of whetever weight and purity, given that the gold mass in it
equals 4.25 grams of gold.

This way, people will easily calculate the nisab and zakat based on the
Dinar.

Also, the nisab of zakat of silver is 200 Dirhams. So, it is is agreed
that a dirham is seven tenth of the dinar, then the dirham should be of
2.975 grams of pure silver.

That said, if we issue a dinar with a different mass of pure gold in it,
other than the agreed upon 4.25 grams, that will be a certain confusion.

The question that arises now is, what is the mass of pure gold in the
Malaysian Dinar? If it is 4.25 grams, then it is the official Dinar, if it
is other than that, then that is a confusion. If you know it for sure
please let me know as I could not find it on the internet.

> The weight, while coinciding with 4.25 grammes was actually based on
> one/eighth of the weight of a stone used as a weight in the trade of myhre
> (sp?) and other essences and spices.
>
> Now, if you look at the 1/8 and the purety of 22carat rather than 24
> carat, you come pretty close to the tenfold Zakat of 2.5%.
> In fact ot is likely that this way of messuring the Zakat predates the
> introduction of the '0' and subsequent begin of calculations in terms of
> percentage.

The zakat is a quarter of the one tenth. The one tenth was already the
zakat for Jews and Christians. Islam came and reduced it to quarter of the
one tenth.

> Hence the only actual Gold Dinar in circulation today is in fact the
> Malaysian one and it appears as if the Royal Mint has backorders piling up
> for three shifts a day well into the second half of 2004.
> It is next to impossible to get them retail in Malaysia, let alone
> anywhere else. Luckily we grabbed early :o)

Do you know a place where I can buy a Dinar? I'll realy apprecite it if
you know one.

Thank you so much again for the nice information!

Best regards,

Ahmed