Dear John Law,

There is no need to store land. You can can just let your
land be out there on the street and no thief will take it
in the night.

You should worry more about the thieves who would take it in broad daylight. Tax collectors, for example, are notorious for taking land which is just sitting there. Easements are taken up by private companies using the eminent domain power of the state. Eminent domain may condemn all your land to state ownership, and experience suggests that "just compensation" is often just barely compensation.

For example, some friends of mine in Sabine county, Texas
have an old grievance against the fedgov.  Apparently when
Sam Rayburn reservoir was created, their land ended up being
lakefront.  And all the frontage was taken by the fedgov.
Their compensation was $90 per acre.  Recent land valuations
in the area suggest that $20,000 per acre would be closer
to just compensation.

Do they still print the shares on paper in the usa?

Betimes.

But what does it matter?

I don't know, John Law.

No density or infinite density, if it has value it can be
used to back an e-currency.

Backing is irrelevant. If it is not possible to redeem the currency for the underlying unit of value, it isn't a good model.

His excellence mr Jim Davidson is not interested to use
e-land, so that proves e-land is an idea not worth trying...

Actually it proves that I'm not interested in using it.

It is an idea you say you are too lazy to implement.  Perhaps,
on a bet, you'd implement it on your own personal computer
and leave everyone guessing whether you actually had such
a system, and then browbeat the wagerer into paying you
without proof.  Nice try, John Law.

I am excellent.  If you don't agree, there's no need for
you to read what I write.  Reading into what I've written
whatever you please may amuse you.  It doesn't change
what I've written.

Who was telling that YOU should use e-land or e-stocks?

I think it is important to have standards for evaluating these things. If you wish to be deliberately ignorant of the standards others use for evaluation, that's your lookout. As long as the moderator permits posts, I'm happy to post my criteria. Maybe you don't want my business. I don't actually care what you want.

If you don't like it don't use it.

Indeed. And, in not liking it, I shall retain my freedom to criticize it so that others see what's not to like and avoid getting scammed. John Law and his Banque Royale hurt a great many hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen in his day. The National Assembly and their assignats hurt many millions of Frenchmen later, but we can be pleased that many of the National Assembly went to the guillotine for their machinations. Charles Ponzi hurt a great many thousands of Americans in his day. Scammers don't like criticism. I think you are very likely a scammer.

If you aren't a scammer, then you'd welcome criticism as
a way of promoting your proposed business concern.

I am only pointing out that a system of electronic transfer
of ownership, like e-gold does for gold, silver,.. can equally
be applied to many other stores of value, including productive
assets like stocks and real estate, making them effectively
useable as money.

I've argued the ineffectiveness of your play money strategies.

The objections that you and others bring actually make me think
it must be a really good idea.

Whereas your self-admitted laziness makes me think you'll never do anything with the idea. Which makes the whole matter moot, that is, a subject for discussion and nothing more.

So much resistance to a very simple idea?

Simple ideas for simple minds.

My resistance is to the elements of e-land which make it
seem like a scam.  These elements remind me of historical
examples, such as John Law's Banque Royale, the National
Assembly's assignat, and so forth.  I don't see any of the
elements Lysander Spooner brought to his proposed land bank
concepts.

As if the world is going to come to an end if people can pay
with something other than gold.

People do pay with things other than gold. For example, they pay with silver.

Hyperinflation is a bad thing.  You don't seem to have
lived through a period of hyperinflation, nor a period of
recession-depression designed to end a period of significant
inflation.  I have done.

I've lived in Somali east Africa when the Somaliland shilling
was inflating by over 230% per annum and the central bank of
Somaliland refused to issue anything larger than a 500 shilling
note fearing that people would "perceive inflation."  I've
lived in the USA through the 1970s inflation and the 1980-1982
recession designed to end it.  I have strong views about how
much people suffer in such situations, and I hate to see
people suffer.

I am already selling stuff for 'dollars worth of e-gold'

Cool. You can get burnt rather badly by the exchange rate numbers provided by the e-gold.com server (courtesy of OmniPay).

I am equally ready to accept 'dollars worth of QQQ shares',
or 'dollars worth of e-land' when that becomes possible.

But, apparently, not willing to design or implement either system.

I'll accept 'dollars worth of *anything*' as long as it is readily
exchangeable.

That's nice. Give INTGold a try, then.

Money is: what the seller accepts as payment.

That's interesting. I think there is more to it than that. Hold a gun against someone's head, as the National Assembly did with their assignats and their death penalty for refusing assignats and their prison terms for asking a different price if paying in gold specie, and you can get a seller to accept many things as payment. Of course, as a corollary, you cannot get sellers to make their goods available in such markets.

You may remember a famous Queen named Marie Antoinette.
She is said to have commented on the scarcity of bread,
shortly before her death at the guillotine, with the
puzzled expression, "Why don't the peasants eat cake,
instead?"  Or something equally naive.

What isn't generally understood is the fiat money fiasco
that went behind this "Let them eat cake" saying.  The
assignats of the National Assembly combined with the
"Law of the Maximum" insisting that basic foods could not
be sold for more than a fixed number of assignats, along
side the penalties for refusing assignats and the penalties
for seeking alternative payments, emptied the markets. It
wasn't possible to get flour or bread or other items on
the price fixing list because merchants weren't willing to
take the losses.  Farmers weren't willing to absorb the
government mandated losses.  When the government sent
troops around to collect up harvested crops, farmers took
to leaving their crops to rot in the fields until two
governments had collapsed.

So, when you propose an e-land fiasco that reminds me of the
irredeemable John Law and assignat fiascos, I think of people
starving to death because of the arrogance of those who
think they can manipulate free enterprise to their advantage
or fool people into accepting garbage in place of money.

If other businesses and people like you only accept gold,
that is very nice,

Where did I ever write that I accept only gold? Why do you suppose it strengthens your argument to make up a straw man and knock him down? I actually do accept things other than gold for exchanges.

since it leaves me alone to do business with the customers
that do use new e-currencies based on land or stocks or....

I don't mind leaving you alone, though you don't seem to be willing to suffer in silence.

Free yourself,

Jim
 http://www.ezez.com/

--- You are currently subscribed to e-gold-list as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.