> From: "Robert B.Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Has it appeared to you that Graham might just not have any DMT/Alta funds?
> As far as I can see he actually posted here trying to find some...
>
> It's amazing how people always believe that exchangers have to have stock
> of every paltry DGC and carry the risk of price fluctuations, provide
> instant service, reply to every email, hold their hand, etc. for a few
> measly percents.
>
> And then people ask us why we are not retailing :o)
>
> Cheers,
> Robert.

This is all true. Exchangers do not have an infinite supply of inventory,
and although things are often stable, things can fluctuate from one week so
many people selling that you end up with way too much inventory that you
can't sell, or to one week so many people buying and you end up with zero
inventory, with no easy way to quickly get more. Then you have your tiny
percentage fee, which is often less than the price moves in one day.

And for that fee, sometimes 2% or less, one must spend a lot of time
securing or dispensing inventory, answering support emails and phones, and
the majority of your time will in fact be spent acting as a private
investigator performing due diligence and investigating the identity of
customers, verifying funds with banks and money order companies, etc. since
criminals are rampant and no one wants to deal with FBI investigations,
another risk. Customers also do want their accounts funded yesterday and for
inquiries to be answered in 20 minutes, and I don't blame them, but it is
difficult in this industry. A typical retail store, on the other hand,
probably has a 50% markup on what they sell.

And people here pay 8.25% (tax) on every thing they buy and don't even blink
an eye. But to pay a private company 2-3% for actually working and providing
a service is excessive.

I would consider it far too much trouble, if I didn't like my job.

- John
---
http://cambist.net