Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:47:51 +0100 David Vrabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> 2.6.27-rc1 kernels appear to corrupt the EEPROM/NVM of the 8086:294c
>> ethernet device (ICH9 I think).  After hacking the driver to ignore the
>> bad CRC and MAC address I could view the EEPROM with ethtool and it was
>> all 0xff.
>>
>> Testing EEPROM reads and writes with ethtool appeared to work but after
>> a reboot of the system the ethernet device (see lspci -v output) was no
>> longer present.  Could invalid EEPROM contents with a valid CRC (as
>> would be the case after my read/write tests) result in the device
>> failing to enumerate on the PCIe bus?

FYI, Jesse Brandeburg replied off-list and said that a corrupt EEPROM
with a valid CRC can result in the device failing to enumerate.

> Is this still happening in Linus's current tree?

I don't know, and I'm reluctant to try until I have a reliable way to
restore an erased EEPROM.

> Was 2.6.26 OK?

2.6.26 was fine.

David
--
David Vrabel, Senior Software Engineer, Drivers
CSR, Churchill House, Cambridge Business Park,  Tel: +44 (0)1223 692562