Hi

Brandeburg, Jesse wrote:
> Yes, not all bioses will upgrade the NVM for the lan.  Chances are good
> that if the file size is larger it will upgrade more of the NVM,
> hopefully upgrading the LAN NVM as well (check the release notes)

None of the release notes for it mention the network chip specifically.
The changelog is at:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-69539

> Telling us anything that you might have done which could help us
> reproduce this would be appreciated.

The timeline is something like this:

* Some months ago - I buy the laptop, format it without booting Windows
and install Ubuntu Hardy on it (2.6.24). LAN part works perfectly every day.
* Last night - I upgraded the machine to Ubuntu Intrepid (2.6.27) at
home, but I only use wireless at home, so the LAN part was not used
immediately.
* Today - I went to work and used the LAN part successfully all morning.
* Lunchtime - I reboot the laptop quite a few times to try and figure
out a bug with the Intel Xorg driver with Intrepid's X/Mesa. I notice
that I am getting an OOPS from the kernel on boot. See
* Between lunch and 15:45 - I reboot a couple of times more to try
different things with the graphics driver.
* 15:47 - I boot the system and the e1000e driver reports a checksum
failure. The LAN part doesn't work again from this point. Tried booting
2.6.24, still errors on the checksum.
* This evening - I upgrade the BIOS to 1.05b, no change.
* Slightly later this evening - I use qemu to make a bootable freedos
USB stick and copy IABUTIL.EXE and EEUPDATE.EXE to it. Boot the image
(available on request) and run IABUTIL.EXE -DEFCFG. It claims to have
updated and shows a MAC address of ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. I then ran
EEUPDATE.EXE and it said it could find no adapters.
>From this point on, the LAN part is not listed in lspci and the BIOS
claims there is no applicable MAC address (where before IABUTIL, but
while it was showing invalid checksums, the MAC address would change
after each powercycle).

I think that's about it. I guess the thing to do is to install Ubuntu
Intrepid on there (I think tomorrow's daily cdimage should include the
2.6.27 kernel, but if not you'll get 2.6.26 and .27 will be available
from apt), then use the LAN interface and reboot a few times. Hit the
network a bunch and see what happens. I don't think I did any
particularly large network transfers before it went wrong.

I guess it'd be interesting to know if the other folks seeing this have
the same OOPS from drm, but I have no idea how likely that is to be related.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]