On 07/27/2011 07:06 AM, Giorgos Vasiliadis wrote:
> Dear Duyck,
>
> I found your e-mail in some lists regarding the ixgbe driver
> development. The reason I sent you this email, is because I want to
> ask you a question about the RSS hash function in intel 88599 cards.
>
> In my project, I want to have packets of the same flow (both incoming
> and outgoing) hashed to the same hardware queue. That means, I want
> the hash function to use only the IP header fields (and not the
> TCP/UDP). Is that possible with the current driver?
>
> In 82599_Datasheet_rev_2_0.pdf it is stated that by setting the
> IXGBE_MRQC_RSS_FIELD_IPV4 and unsetting the
> IXGBE_MRQC_RSS_FIELD_IPV4_TCP value, the hash function will use only
> the IP header. Is that true? If not, is any way to perform hashing
> symmetry?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sincerely yours,
>    Giorgos Vasiliadis
Giorgos,

I would recommend looking at some patches I had submitted as an RFC back
in December.

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/76051/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/76052/
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/76053/

What they provided was a framework similar to what you have described.
The piece that will likely be of most interest to use is the changes to
ixgbe_setup_mrqc that can be found in patch 2 of the 3 above.  What it
specifically did is reduce the RSS key to a 16 bit repeating value.  The
advantage of this is that it makes the TX and RX flow hash result the
same using the same process.

Thanks,

Alex