From: Ran Shalit [mailto:ransha...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:37 AM
To: Fujinaka, Todd <todd.fujin...@intel.com>
Cc: e1000-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [E1000-devel] 1000Gb without auto-negotiation

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 8:44 PM, Fujinaka, Todd <todd.fujin...@intel.com> wrote:
> What did you try and what to you want to do?

I try to use ethtool (in init.d scripts) to turn auto-negotiation off and force
1G. I now understand from your answer that it can't work with igb.

My end goal is to reduce boot time till ping success, but I still have long
interval from time of igb probe till ping success.
I tried many many methods but nothing helped too much, only if I remove
auto-negotiation to 100M, I got ~1.5 second less time till link is up, but we
probably can't use 100M, because we must work with 1Gb.

I first got 3 seconds from igb init till link up (we can name it 1st interval),
and 3 seconds from link up till ping success(let's name it 2nd interval).

After initialization of ip in bootargs (ip=...) instead of using ifup in
init.d, and using static arp, I got ~100msec from link up till ping.
Yet, I'm not sure what actual made it less. when removed arp it was still short.

1. Why initialization of ip at start reduced the 1st interval (from init till
link is up) ?

I also don't understand yet why it takes to much time till igb get link is up
(1st interval).
It also seems that IGB disable/enable or power down itself (I see that led of
phy is turned off during boot) Trying to return from power down (without doing
anything) and from phy reset did not help, or made it non-functional at all.

2. How to disable this power down\phy down issue during boot ?

These are the function I catch when adding log of function call:

[    1.897306]  igb_init_module
[    1.897309] igb: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver << -
version 5.4.0-k
[    1.897310] igb: Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Intel Corporation. <<
[    1.897338]  igb_probe
[    1.897728]  igb_sw_init
[    1.908895]  igb_reset
[    1.923042]  igb_power_down_link
[    1.926740]  Starting network:
[    1.944956]  __igb_open
[    1.945005]  igb_power_up_link
[    5.043281] igb 0000:03:00.0 eth0: igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000
Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX
[    7.966910]  ping ack success

3. Is there a way to investigate where igb waits for or spends time till link
is up ?

> You can't turn off auto-negotiation on 1G (as per the 1G spec), but you can
> limit what you advertise.
>
> Todd Fujinaka

Thank you very much,
ranran