Erkan Yilmaz un jour écrivit:
> Salut Simon,
>
>> Good to hear.  I hopped you would have rewritten the networking code,
>> while knowing it was unlikely :o)
>
> Yes, right now I won't do that
> Iam in the phase to get things organized:
> - testing situation on the different OS,
> - gathering more people - new ones, as well old ones e.g. translators,
> helping new ones compile it ...
> - making ads at FICS for it
>

>> If it get supported again, I could look at it and perhaps rewrite properly
>> (and more portably) some parts of the networking code and test it on
>> PowerPC, x86 and maybe also on Sparc and StrongARM.
>
> Do you know what was the reason for it not to compile/work anymore on
> your OS?

I've found it. If I recall properly, it was related to the fact that on
some architecture, char are signed while it is not on others.  I think
there was also something about bitshifts that didn't worked with big
endian architectures, or the fact that int can have different length on
different OS/architectures.

It was fixed with yet another hack by adding some special compiler flags
to GCC and maybe some minimal modifications to the networking code.  It
then worked again on PowerPC with MacOS 10.2 and Linux.

I may also have tested it with NetBSD, but I can't remember.

>> I can update the current French translation, which have plenty of very bad
>> nul» can be interpreted as meaning a dumb person and have little to do with
>> a chess draw offers).
>
> That would be very appreciated (I got contect by PM today by another person
> who wantsto help with Catalan language + Bernhard who said he sent Felipe
> once a better German translation)

Ok, I will do it.

>> Version numbering
>
> Yes, I will change this. At begin it was not clear:
> - if Felipe would continue with 1.1.2
> - and how many iterations I'd need to get it running on the new OS versions
> so I made something in between
> But it is clear now, Felipe does not continue anymore, so we can go back to
> the 3 digit system.
>

> See you soon,
> Erkan

Merci et bonne journée,