I found the article Joe posts very interesting, especially the following
paragraphs:

****Brooke Shelby Biggs, a writer and one of the TR-L members, says it
wasn't so much a matter of disliking her TR-L colleague but
feeling that the conversation (of 20 posts a day) had swung hopelessly out
of balance. "It gets this way on every list I've ever been on," she says.
"Someone comes in and tries to throw a Molotov cocktail on the list -- it's
like trying to reason with someone who has a weapon."

****But that's the tricky knot of the problem: Often these
         provocateurs have something essential to contribute, but the sheer
wattage of their energies endangers the connection they're trying to
create. Where Biggs sees a weapon, Antiorp sees performance art,
Mediafilter sees social critique and Stahlman sees a hidden agenda needing
to be exposed.****

E. again:

If listservs do indeed have a life that includes dying a "natural" death,
then I, for one, hope our ecofem list is not on its way down.  I've
received some extremely valuable information from most of the posts.  But
after the religion war and the black-white war we've been inundated with of
late, one could reach the conclusion that we seem to be somewhat prone to
"dis-ease." I hope the "Molotov" article is wrong in claiming that
resigning from the list seems to be the only "cure."  To take the metaphor
one step further, can we put our heads together and figure out some way to
"inoculate" our list?

Sending you all good thoughts, --E.

Elizabeth L. MacNabb, PhD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Service Learning, Career Development Center
Richmond Hall, UR, Richmond, VA 23173
phone 804-289-8686, fax 804-287-6465