Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:51:21 -0800
From: radtimes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Animal rights - Huntingdon quits LSE

Animal rights - Huntingdon quits LSE

<http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/14253/story.htm>

Story by Mark Potter
REUTERS NEWS SERVICE
UK: January 28, 2002

LONDON - The British government vowed on Thursday that no more firms would
be hounded overseas as drugs testing laboratory Huntingdon Life Sciences
quit the London stock market to the delight of animal rights activists.
"We will not hesitate to take any further action to make sure that
legitimate businesses are free to operate without fear of intimidation," a
Home Office spokeswomen told Reuters.

Shares in Britain's oldest animal laboratory left the London Stock Exchange
on Thursday after a determined and sometimes violent campaign by protesters
to cut off its funding.

Huntingdon is switching its listing to the United States, where the law
does more to protect shareholders.

Animal activists took up the challenge, saying they would continue to
target Huntingdon and its backers.

"We will not stop until we have driven this disgusting firm out of
business," Joseph Dawson, a campaigner at Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty
(SHAC), told Reuters.

The laboratory outside Cambridge, in southern England, came to notoriety in
1997 when a television documentary exposed cruelty toward animals in its
laboratories.

Despite sweeping management changes since then and a clean bill of health
from government inspectors, activists have kept up a campaign to close it down.
Early last year, Huntingdon was driven to the brink of bankruptcy when
Royal Bank of Scotland declined to extend a loan after threats to its
directors.

And earlier this month, the firm's latest backer - Stephen's Group Inc of
the United States - said it was selling its stake to an unnamed investor
after the anti-Huntingdon campaign reached its headquarters in Arkansas.
"We'll find out who they are (the new backer), and we'll drive them away as
well," SHAC's Dawson said.

                 HUNTINGDON DEFIANT

Despite these set-backs, Huntingdon denied it was on the run. "We've moved
our listing to the U.S. to protect our shareholders," a spokesman told Reuters.
Under U.S. law, companies are only obliged to publish the names of
shareholders who own more than a five percent stake. In the UK, the names
of all shareholders are publically available.

Huntingdon said in October it was leaving the London Stock Exchange. Its
shares are expected to start trading on Nasdaq's Over The Counter Bulletin
Board in the next few days.

The spokesman said Huntingdon's day-to-day operations would not be
affected. Indeed, he said orders had risen around 35 percent over the past
12 months and the firm posted its first operating profit in five years
during its third-quarter.

"The biggest effect of the campaign has only really been on our share
price, because investors feel intimidated," he said.
Huntingdon's shares dropped from as high as 122 pence in March 1997 to as
low as 3/4p earlier this year. They were cancelled from trading in London
at 4-1/2p.

                 FEAR OF CONTAGION

While it is the UK's largest contract research organisation, the 70,000 or
so animals Huntingdon tests each year represent only a fraction of the
total used in scientific research in the UK. Most are used in the labs of
big pharmaceuticals companies.

"The real fear is that this sort of action (by animal rights activists)
becomes more widespread," Aisling Burnand, deputy chief executive of the
BioIndustry Association told Reuters.

She called on the UK government to adopt U.S.-style regulation withholding
the names of shareholders who own less than five percent of a company.
Government legislation requires drugs to be tested on animals before they
are given to humans.

Some 2.7 million animals are used in scientific experiments in Britain each
year, according to Home Office figures.  About 85 percent are rats and
mice, and about 0.4 percent cats and dogs.

In recent years, the government has strengthened police powers to deal with
protests outside people's houses, and introduced legislation for the
addresses of company directors who feel under threat to be placed on a
secure register.

But it has a battle on its hands.

Only last week, SHAC staged protests outside the houses of two directors of
British bank Barclays Plc, which has indirect links with Huntingdon via
Stephen's Group.