FYI.

Stefanie Rixecker
ECOFEM Coordinator

From: "Michael Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
University of Otago, New Zealand
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 9:12 PM
Subject: ECOTOURISM, WILDERNESS AND MOUNTAIN TOURISM: Issues, Strategies and
Regional Development ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS

themes
In recognition of 2002 being the UN International Years for
Ecotourism and Mountains and New Zealand's positioning in the
ecotourism field the overall conference theme is Ecotourism,
Wilderness and Mountain Tourism: Issues, Strategies and Regional
Development. Sessions at the conference will emphasise a wide range
of topics and sub-themes including:

- ecotourism and sustainability
- the costs and benefits of ecotourism
- backcountry wilderness use
- issues in alpine tourism development
- ecotourism in coastal, marine and island environments
- the changing tourism market
- tourism regulation
- product development
- urban ecotourism
- tourism and national parks
- business dimensions of alpine tourism and ecotourism
- tourism and regional development
- tourism and access to private land
- tourism planning issues
- tourism and wildlife
- environmental education and tourism
- tourism impact assessment
- marketing of alpine and backcountry tourism regions
- wilderness management environmental history
- cultural heritage management in wilderness and backcountry areas
- comparative studies of tourism
- tourism and seasonality
- resort development
- consumptive use of backcountry and alpine areas
- cottaging and second home development
- alpine sport development
- imaging of wilderness and alpine areas

conference location/venue
The conference will be held on the campus of the University of Otago
in the City of Dunedin. Dunedin is the second largest city in the
South Island and has a population of about 120,000.
Dunedin offers many opportunities to explore the wonderful local
environment. This is due to the proximity of nature reserves with
seals, albatross and penguins all found on the city's doorstep.

registration brochure
The registration brochure including the full programme, details on
speakers, field trips, social activities, accommodation, costings and
registration form will be distributed 12-14 weeks prior to the
conference. Please complete and return the attached 'Registration of
Interest Form' to ensure you are on our database to receive the
registration brochure.

social programme
Social highlights include a Welcome Reception on the first evening, a
Public Debate on Wednesday night and the Conference Dinner held on
the Thursday night which will reflect the use of local and New
Zealand wine and foods.

accommodation
A wide range of accommodation options are available to suit all
tastes and budgets. Full details are available on our website and
will be outlined in the conference registration brochure.

publications and proceedings
A full set of proceedings will be available on CD Rom along with a
book of abstracts. Contributions will also be invited to an edited
book arising from the conference.

abstracts
Abstracts of working papers should be limited to one A4 page,
submitted on disc or by email in Word format. The closing date for
abstracts is 30 April 2002. This deadline is essential and late
entries may not be considered. The submission of an abstract is an
indication of a commitment to attend the conference if selected. All
abstracts will be refereed.

Final papers of no more than 5,000 words must be submitted by 31 July 2002.

Further guidelines regarding submission of abstracts and papers will
be available on the conference website and from the Conference
Organiser. Abstracts will be listed on the website once accepted.

presentations/poster sessions/displays
Opportunities are available for poster presentations and displays.
Presentations will be of approximately 20 minutes with the
availability of discussion time following each speaker.

programme overview
Tuesday, August 27th 2002
* Conference Registration
* Welcome Reception
Wednesday, August 28th 2002
* Official Opening
* Keynote Addresses and Concurrent Sessions
* Public Debate
Thursday, August 29th 2002
* Concurrent Sessions
* Conference Dinner

supporters
* International Geographical Union (IGU) Study Group on the Geography
of Tourism, Leisure and Global Change
* Channelview Publications: Publishers of Journal of Ecotourism,
Journal of Sustainable Tourism and Current Issues in Tourism

registration fees (all prices include GST)
                        Before 30th April/After 30th April
Full Registration               NZ$225 NZ$275
IGU / TTRA / CHRIE / ATLAS / TIA / PATA Members NZ$175 NZ$200
Student                 NZ$30 NZ$45
Day Registration                NZ$150 NZ$200
Registration Fees include morning and afternoon teas, lunch, book of
abstracts and proceedings on CD Rom.
Proof of membership or student status must be provided on registration.

PLEASE NOTE AAGRTS MEMBERS AND IBG TOURISM STUDY GROUP MEMBERS CAN
REGISTER AT THE IGU MEMBERS RATE

registration of interest
ECOTOURISM, WILDERNESS AND MOUNTAIN TOURISM: Issues, Strategies and
Regional Development

For more information about the conference please complete and return to:

The Conference Organiser
Department of Tourism, University of Otago
P O Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
Tel +64 3 479 8520 Fax: +64 3 479 9034
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: www.otago.ac.nz/tourism

Name: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Postal Address: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Tel: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fax: . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . Email: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .
Please tick:
[ ] I am interested in participating in the conference. Please send
me the registration brochure.
[ ] I am interested in presenting a paper, please send me more details.
[ ] I/my company is interested in sponsoring the conference, please
send me further information.
[ ] I am interested in erecting a display at the conference, please
send me more details.

--
Professor and Head, Department of Tourism, University of Otago School
of Business, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand

Co-Editor, Current Issues in Tourism:
http://www.commerce.otago.ac.nz/tourism/current-issues/homepage.htm
Ecotourism, Wilderness and Mountain Tourism Conference, 27-29 August
2002:
http://www.commerce.otago.ac.nz/tourism/conference/ecotourism2002.htm
Associate Editor for Asia and the Pacific, Tourism Geographies: An
International Journal of Tourism Place, Space and Environment:
http://www.for.nau.edu/geography/tg/
Chairperson, IGU Tourism, Leisure and Global Change Study Group:
http://www.for.nau.edu/geography/igust/
Dr. Stefanie S. Rixecker, Senior Lecturer
Environmental Management & Design Division
Lincoln University, Canterbury
PO Box 84
Aotearoa New Zealand
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]