On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 10:50 -0400, Alexey A Voinov wrote:
> Dear Dong Gill:
>
> Thanks for sharing Jan Reichelt's response to your inquiry.
>
> So what are you still confused about? Think of Mendeley as a library. You
> bring
> your old books to them and they share them with other people. They also help
> other people find you to borrow a book from you directly. As simple as that.
> Is
> there anything criminal in what libraries do?

In the UK, for example, libraries *pay* the copyright holders of works
they lend out, on your behalf, via a copyright clearing service. The
money comes from the Government and hence ultimately from our taxes. So
you are paying to "licence" (in some sense) the copyrighted works

Fair use is something specific to US (and some other countries)
copyright law. The UK doesn't have the same provisions. What might be
acceptable in one jurisdiction could be illegal in another.

> To me the ultimate test is very simple: if you personally are not profiting
> from
> it - how can you be prosecuted?

Depriving another of rightful profit from works they hold copyright on?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, from the point of the publisher), you do
not make or enforce the law. Anyone considering "sharing" copyrighted
works that is concerned that they might be opening themselves up to
prosecution would do well to seek expert, local legal advice.

--
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522