Is there anyone left to review these proposals? This seems like a huge number
to deal with.

My understanding is that part of the reason for the switch to a once-a-year
preproposal system was to reduce the amount of grant writing and the amount of
reviewing. Sounds like this first year has created a feeding frenzy (when
there's actual less meat to compete over) and it resulted in more reviewing and
grant writing headaches. It will be interesting to see what happens over the
years - is this a blip or will this trend for huge numbers of submissions
continue?

We have current and ex-NSF people on the forum. What do you make of this?

Thanks,

John.
_____________________________________

Dr. John Swaddle
Professor, Biology
Institute for Integrative Bird Behavior Studies
College of William and Mary
Millington Hall
Landrum Drive
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795