In terms of equipment, I am afraid that I am not up to date on the newest accessories available for infants. I do agree with David that having the right carrier is key. I used a Kelty Kids front carrier, which had at least a few more bells and whistles on it than the standard front carrier. I would hope that they improved the design even further by now. It's important that you get it fitted right - just like a regular backpack. That will make a huge difference. I would recommend going to an REI store (you might have done this already). This store tends to be more progressive than other outdoor stores and folks are usually quite creative in solving problems. They might also have an idea for a potential moisture barrier, rain covers etc. It's worth a shot.

I live in the Northwest (Portland, OR, area) where folks tend to be quite outdoor oriented. The climate is also similar here to the one you will be dealing with. So, I looked for hiking groups on Meetup that might have insights for you. (Meetup is a online site that can be used to organize individuals with similar interests). Here is what I came up with:
Portland area:
http://www.meetup.com/The-Gresham-Outdoor-Mammas-Group/
Seattle area:
http://www.meetup.com/Backcountry-Betties/
http://www.meetup.com/PNWLeisureHiking/

I would suggest to contact the organizers of these groups. I am sure they would love to help you. People in these regions are very nice and helpful and more than willing to look outside the box.

Best wishes to you!
Eva-Maria