Ecolog is such a valuable resource, but I suspect that it has the potential of
being greatly more so if a few of my wishes came to pass. I do not mean in how
the listserv is managed, but in how it is used.

I wish that subscribers would address all of there responses to Ecolog rather
than to the individual who originated the post in matters of common interest. I
see nothing wrong, however, with off-list communications that are entirely
personal in nature.

Another wish is that when someone posts a request for technical assistance that
they take a minute to describe what they are trying to accomplish. Context is
often important to a decent answer, and leaving such information out, and
knowing a bit about the project which gave rise to the enquiry, compromises the
quality of the potential responses. (That may be why so few respond, and why
the most abstract of questions.) But just knowing what's going on with the
poster's research is informative and helps knit the community together.

What are the group's feelings on these issues?

WT