All:

By "respectable," I meant "main-stream ecology."

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judith S. Weis" <jw...@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Human-assembled ecosystem

Respectable journals won't publish applied material??? I can't let that
pass unanswered. There are numerous respectable journals that focus on
applied areas such as pollution, aquaculture, agriculture, silviculture,
invasion biology, environmental management and so forth. Even ESA has a
journal in Ecological Applications!

Some pretty damn good commentary, if a bit challenging to intelligently
comment upon--mainly due to the scattered nature of the points alluded to.

While I, too, am looking forward to the citations, I would prefer a
separate
healthy discussion on Clements and "invasion biology" from those
well-versed
in both.

"Applied folks" tend to be held in disdain by academics, and "respectable" journals usually do not deign to publish "applied" material. This, too, is
worthy of a separate discussion.

I'd like to hear more about the "huge social component" with respect to
"invasive" species, and would especially like to hear more about
academics'
discomfort in this regard. (What makes me most "uncomfortable" with the
whole set of invasive species issues is that they seem to be a mile wide
and
an inch deep--a fertile field, if you'll pardon the punny irony, for
academicians to dig deeper into. Perhaps then some of the folklore in this
area of action-with-little-study can be clarified or disposed of. This
brings us back to one of the several reasons Ascension Island might be
instructive. Is it a "human-assembled" ecosystem or is it "just" an
assemblage of species, each of which is doing what it can, when it can,
where it can? Ah-HA! This gets us close to the nitty-gritty of what an
ecosystem is--AND WHY! And perhaps more important, what an ecosystem IS
NOT!

While the concept of "novel ecosystems" does nauseate me, I'm open to
being
converted--and then falling from grace, as it were, perhaps yo-yo like,
until the end of my days. What I think of it now already seems like
"blithering stupidity" to me, but I'm interested in cogent arguments to
the
contrary.

Ecological history has always fascinated me, and I hope someone will bring
it all into focus soon! There was an interesting film treatment on (the
History Channel?) what would happen after humans died out fairly recently,
and while it was a good start, it seemed high on sensation and a bit
lacking
on references (well, what can we expect from show-biz?). Let's take this a
bit further into the nuts and bolts of evolution.

WT