To: <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Human-assembled ecosystem

Even highly diverse, apparently sustainable agricultural systems – like the forest gardens of lowland Samoa – wind up displacing/destroying much biodiversity when human population densities are even moderately dense.

Harking to an earlier thread: while invasive species can, in the short term, increase local species richness, in the long term the broad spread of a few weedy or commensal species can erode global biodiversity substantially, by driving many local species to extinction or nearly so. That's already happened on many tropical islands, and is in the process of happening many other places.

Don Strong's pithy questions are the best response to the shallow account re Ascension Island that triggered this string. His questions are posted (ca. Aug 26) with the article.

Thomas J. Givnish
Henry Allan Gleason Professor of Botany
University of Wisconsin

givn...@wisc.edu