Hi,
A couple of brief thoughts:
Enthusiasm and getting kids to notice and observe and then remember seem to
be the keys in many successful programs.
Getting them to use their physical bodies is also very helpful-- move the
way an animal moves, or have them stand in different arrangements to
understand the way forest structure works.
And enthusiasm enthusiasm and building on their creativity.

So for instance, you might have the kids sit, lay down, or stand, silently
facing towards the rainforest (not each other) for 2-3 minutes. Keep it
short. They are little so time seems much longer. Ask them first to just
close their eyes and listen. After about 30 seconds ask them to see if they
can hear new sounds. After thirty more seconds ask them to see if they can
smell things )eyes still closed) and then have them open their eyes and
just look. When the 2 minutes ends you can ask them to describe the sounds,
smells, and what they saw. They will probably at first think it  was very
quiet and then be surprised at how much noise (insects, birds, monkeys,
wind) they heard... You can talk about how full of life your rainforest is.
How all the sounds/smells help us recognize different species etc. this
would highlight things like diversity, complexity. If you know that some
important things are no longer present--you could talk about what sounds
are missing from the forest.

Then you could take them on a short walk that might highlight some
different things you would love them to know or observe. Maybe 2-3
different habitats within the forest. You could tell them for instance to
pretend that they are tree seeds that have just fallen and need to grow
into trees. Ask them what they need to grow (water, light, etc). Have them
stand in different spots--are they getting enough light to grow? Do they
have enough room? You can talk in really general terms about how different
species have different requirements. Or you could have them each pick a
species( animal or plant) and as they walk try to find a place that could
be a good home. If they start getting bored/distracted/rowdy ask them to
walk the way their species would move.

Let them act things out, have them try to learn how to make a howler monkey
call, and then talk a little about howler monkeys.

Pick a couple of things you would like them to go home having a little more
idea about and find lots of ways to keep introducing it.

Also, though they mostly won't remember the terms and details, you may be
surprised. My nieces went to an entirely outdoor nursery school (rain,
shine, or snow). One day when I was visiting I asked the older one what she
had learned in school that day--she said she learned about hibbbernnanation
(hibernation, she was three). I asked her what that was (I hadn't
understood what she said), she said it was when animals slept all winter.
She then through herself on the floor and stuck her arms and legs in the
air, "like this she said." Details aside, my niece is now nine, and I often
call on her for natural history information.

They may not remember the details--but the feeling, your enthusiasm, and
some big points will probably stick.

Best
Nancy

--

Nancy M. Dammann, Ph.D.
Conservation Biologist/Political Ecologist

VASI Coordinating Team Member

www.proyectovasi.org

www.projectvasi.org

Cell Phone (231) 675 8242