On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:28:01PM +0100, Benedikt Driessen wrote:
> I'd like to begin with two issues which seem to affect only the
> pkcs11_helper-module.
>
> 1.  Entering a PIN via ssh-askpass (or equivalent) does NOT work,
> the kernel<->userspace communication seems to be disrupted by the
> fork() in daemon.c::prompt_callback(). (I already saw this issue
> floating around some time ago..). And yes, I set the timeout value
> to "10".
>
> 2.       None of the parameters in ~/.ecryptfsrc.pkcs11 for pkcs11-provider
> (e.g. name=xy,library=xy..) seems to be optional, in case the line beginning
> with pkcs11-provider does not end with private-mask=xy, the provider library
> will not be loaded and eCryptfs will fail with meaningless messages (at
> least in non-debug mode).

Alon is probably the best person right now to respond regarding issues
with the pkcs11-helper key module.

> The following issues seems to be a problem of eCryptfs itself:
>
> 3.  When using kernel 2.6.24 and loading the ecryptfs module,
> everything is fine. When I start the ecryptfsd the system crashes
> (I'm starting ecryptfsd as root).

This is a known bug in eCryptfs+netlink in 2.6.24. I am working on a
replacement mechanism for communicating with userspace via procfs
instead. In the meantime, some debug work is needed to find out why
netlink support in eCryptfs broke between 2.6.23 and 2.6.24.

> 4.       <!> Data gets corrupted when I do something like the following
> (using the pkcs11_helper key module..) <!>
>
> $ mkdir secret
>
> $ mount -t ecryptfs secret secret
>
> $ echo "abc" > secret/test
>
> $ cat secret/test
>
> abc
>
> $ umount secret
>
> $ mount -t ecryptfs secret secret
>
> $ echo "def" >> secret/test
>
> $ cat secret/test
>
> def

Yup; this is a bug all right. I'm surprised it hasn't hit anyone's
radar until now. I'll look into it.

Mike