>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re:  a dreamers look at san francisco
>Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:57:55 EDT

>i would like to mention a graffiti about dreams i saw in san francisco
>on polk st. between northpoint and bay probably at the corner of
>northpoint  and polk but it maybe polk and bay on the west side of polk
.
>i noticed it  driving toward fishermans wharf having had a delightful
chat
>with richard  wilkerson at the palace of fine arts lagoon. the graffiti
is there
>for those in the  bay area to see and it was quite spectacular for me as
>there are very few  of us with that grafitti's message. it warmed my
heart
>that cold afternoon.  that siting made my trip to san francisco. by the
way
>richard, the book i mentioned on linguistics is THE SACRED CROSS
>AND THE MUSHROOM by JOHN ALLEGRO.

If you wouldn't mind, please relate to us what the graffito said.

Meanwhile, I am going to post a letter I wrote to The Straight Dope, a
column by Cecil Adam, which appears in the Chicago Reader, AOL and in
various newspapers. Mr. Adams attempts to answer questions of about urban
legends and anything else that strikes his fancy. He hasn't answered my
letter yet. The letter I wrote was about the book Heratheta mentions
above.

Dear Mr. Adams,

I read "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, A study of the nature
and origins of Christianity within the fertility cults of the ancient
Near East,"
by John M. Allegro, a philologist. The book was published by Doubleday
& Company Inc. in 1970. Allegro says the Indo-European and Semitic
language families are both derived from the ancient tongue of Sumeria,
long extinct. (Encarta contradicts Allegro, saying, "Its vocabulary,
grammar,
and syntax do not appear to be related to those of any other known
language.")

Allegro says religions in the ancient Near East, including the Greeks',
Hebrews'
and Christians', were based on worship of a fertility god whose sperm
was the rain that fell on the earth and the fields, which were furrowed
into a
vulva. Their union produced crops. "Chrisitian" means "smeared with
semen"
and refers to their practice of smearing themselves with "aromatic gums
and
spices of the traditional Israelite anointing oil: myrrh, aromatic cane,
cinnamon,
and cassia, all representing the powerful semen of the god." There was
another ingredient in the anointing oil: magic mushrooms (Amanita
muscaria),
which were "the pure unadulterated semen of the god" and the "son of
God",
and which when eaten, bestowed divine knowledge on the priest or
adherent.
The Old and New Testaments, written in code to conceal the true
fertility/mushroom cult from outsiders and the authorities, are,
according to Allegro,  filled with puns
that allude to the holy mushroom.

Here are a couple of passages from "The sacred Mushroom and the Cross":

"The use of the name Jesus (Greek iesus) as an invocation for healing was
appropriate enough. Its Hebrew original, yehoshua, Joshua, comes from
Sumerian IA-U-ShU-A (ShUSh), 'semen, which saves, restores, heals'.
Hellenized Jews used for 'Joshua' the Greek name Iason, Jason, very
properly, since iason, 'healer', and the deponent verb iaomai, 'heal',
come
from the same Sumerian source. In the New Testament taunt, 'Physician,
heal thyself' (Luke 4:23), we probably have a direct allusion to this
meaning,
as we certainly have in Jesus' title 'Saviour', Greek soter, the first
element of
which reflects the same Sumerian word ShU, 'save', and so is rightly used
in
Greek for saving from disease, harm, peril, etc., and is a common epithet
of Zeus and kings.

"The fertility God Dionysys (Greek dionusos), whose cult emblem was the
erect phallus, was also a god of healing, and his name, when broken down
to its original parts, IA-U-NU-ShUSh, is almost idential to that of
Jesus,
having NU, 'seed', only in addition; 'Semen, seed that saves', and is
comparable with the Greek Nosios, 'Healer', an epithet of Zeus.

And this:

"If we are to make any enlightened guess at 'primitive' man's ideas about
god
and the universe it would have to be on the reasonable assumption that
they
would be simple, and directly related to the world of his experience. He
may
have given the god numerous epithets describing his various functions and
manifestations but there is no reason to doubt that the reality behind
the names
was envisaged as one, all-powerful deity, a life-giver, supreme creator.
The
etymological examination of the chief god names that is now possible
supports
this view, pointing to a common theme of life-giving fecundity. Thus the
principal gods of the Greeks and Hebrews, Zeus, and Yahweh (Jehova),
have names derived from Sumerian meaning 'juice of fecundity',
spermatazoa, 'seed of life'. The phrase is composed of two syllables, IA
(ya,
dialectically za), 'juice', literally 'strong water', and U, perhaps the
most
important phoneme in the whole of Near Eastern religion. It is found
in the texts represented by a number of different cuneiform signs, but
at the root of them all is the idea of 'fertility'. Thus one U means
'copulate'
or 'mount', and 'create'; another 'rainstorm', as source of the heavenly
sperm;
another 'vegetation', as the offspring of the god; whilst U is the name
of the
storm-god himself. So, far from evincing a multiplicity of gods and
conflicting
theological notions, our earliest records lead us back to a single idea,
even a single letter, 'U'. Behind Judaism and Christianity, and indeed
all
the Near Eastern fertility religions and their more sophisticated
developments,
there lies this single phoneme U'.''

And one more:

"The idea of the creative Word of God came to have a profound
philosophical
and religious importance and was, and still is, the sujbect of much
metaphysical debate. But originally it was not an abstract notion; you
could
see the "Word of God", feel it as rain on your face, see it seeping into
the
furrows of mother earth, the "labia" of the womb of creation. Within
burns
an eternal fire ..."

My questions for you are these: Did Allegro originate these theories, and
have
they been accepted by other philologists and scholars? Is he a reputable
scholar? Does anyone else believe that the Indo-European and Semitic
languages and religions are indeed fertility and mushroom cults derived
from
ancient Sumerian language and culture?

I noted in front of the book that he also wrote "Dead Sea Scrolls"
(Pelican A376), "People of the Dead Sea Scrolls" (Doubleday, N.Y.) and
other books.

I look forward to reading your answer. Thanks.

Mark Miller

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]