 From: Michael Mattias/LS <mcmlse...@talsystems.com>
To: EDI-L@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [EDI-L] Standards price change?

> I think X12 and DISA really do need to start looking more seriously at
> the [buyer?] expense side of the equation rather than just looking for more
> revenue.

???

You mean looking at the selling prices?

That's an exercise all "product producers"  perform constantly.

You look a a chart containing "unit price,"  "expected unit sales at this
price" , "expected unit cost at this price"  and select a
selling price based on maximizing the difference between expected total
revenues and expected total costs.

Of course it's not quite that simple, what with looking at multiple revenue
streams over a number of years (e.g., "initial fee" and
"annual maintenance" in the software world) and more significantly, predicting
(guessing?)  what "the market"  will do if prices go
up or down ten percent, but that's how it's done.

I don't think X12/DISA  are all that dense, given they basically arranged to
obtain a legislated monopoly with guaranteed customers
on the last go-round of HIPAA-mandated healthcare document standards changes.
At the very least they know whom to hire as a
lobbyist.

Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.
Racine WI