----- Forwarded message from Bob Wheeler -----

Charles Payne Winsor (It might be "Paine".)

He died in the early 50's. There was a biography
in the American Statistician, I think.

Rich Ulrich wrote:

> ("Could anyone suggest references for me ...?"  would be a gentler way
> to request assistance....)   It is George P. Winsor.  He drove an
> ambulance in WW I.

----- End of forwarded message from Bob Wheeler -----

I vote for "Charles" as first name.  He joined the Iowa State
Statistical Laboratory in 1939.  In the 1940 Bulletin he is the only
person on the staff with a Ph.D.!  I have heard gossip that he was
brilliant, lazy and died young.  _Statistics: An Appraisal_, David and
David, Iowa State U. Press, 1984 has a picture of Winsor with Cochran,
Cox and Snedecor, some information on statistics at ISU in those
years, and references to other sources, none just on Winsor, yet
possibly useful.

      _
     | |                    Robert W. Hayden
     | |          Work: Department of Mathematics
    /  |                Plymouth State College MSC#29
   |   |                Plymouth, New Hampshire 03264  USA
   | * |                fax (603) 535-2943
  /    |          Home: 82 River Street (use this in the summer)
 |     )                Ashland, NH 03217
 L_____/                (603) 968-9914 (use this year-round)
Map of New        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (works year-round)
Hampshire         http://mathpc04.plymouth.edu (works year-round)

The State of New Hampshire takes no responsibility for what this map
looks like if you are not using a fixed-width font such as Courier.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work." --Thomas Edison