The tragedy I see is that it is in fact the technologists - specifically
those immersed in IT - who are emerging as the most formidable obstacle to
progress, as I would define it.

I follow the debian edu mailinglist, and what I seem to see is a complete
lack of critical analysis as to the use of technology.  The starting
assumption is the more the merrier, and the prevailing motivation seems to
be beating Microsoft at the thoughtless use of technology in the school
systems.

There are all kinds of ways of beating Microsoft, I guess.

Art