Hello Bill,

Your contributions of exercises for PyKata are welcome. At the moment, we are classifying exercises with simple keywords: (lists, strings, logic) etc. Later we plan to have the website customizable for teachers like yourself who have not just a few exercises, but an entire course optimized for a particular group of students. When a student visits pykata.org/~punch, they will see just the problems you have selected.

Looks like we are getting good response to Andy's solicitation for a Google Summer of Code project finishing our website development. I'm confident we will have this website fully developed by the end of the summer. Our key advantage is open-source teamwork. That should provide us with plenty of content, covering every educational need from junior high to graduate classes in engineering.

-- Dave

************************************************************     *
* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *

Bill Punch wrote:
Given all the discussion about exercises, we though we'd throw in some of the work we've done. MSU has taught its CS1 course in Python since the Fall of 2007. Each semester we have the students complete 11 programming projects (as homework). The homeworks start out easy and work their way up. Each project focuses on a particular topic i.e., strings, working with files, dictionaries etc.

We've collected those projects on a webpage. Each project has some supporting material and a solution. However, at the moment the solution is not shown. We are working on that.

Some of the projects ended up in the book we recently published ("Practice of Computing Using Python", Punch, Enbody) but there are over 58 listed here (and more coming) so there is a lot more listed on the web page

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~cse231/PracticeOfComputingUsingPython/index.php

If you have any comments, we'd love to hear them.