Yes, I like that a lot - 'Digital' Math.  It does have a different sense
than 'Discrete' Math.

However, down here in the trenches, I really don't expect that kind of
distinction to be a part of math department discussions anytime soon.  It
will in fact come up for discussion in our department : ) , but it probably
won't be taken seriously.  As it stands, our curriculum presents AP Calc as
the crown jewel of achievement.  Everything points towards that goal.  Along
the way there are various acceptable exits for those who just need to
graduate.  'Finite' Math / Prob Stat is one of those exits.  It's basically
'Math for Dummies'.  I really dislike that organization and would like to
throw a monkey wrench into it.

The good news is that this year I was given permission to create a
Computational Analysis class, and I'm very happy with it.  There are some
amazing kids in there.  I got a bunch of 3d puzzles in my room such as
http://www.creativewhack.com/ , and there are some kids who take these
things and create structures that just make me go 'Hmmm ... '.  Truly
remarkable.  And there's one kid who is completely self-taught regarding
Turing-completeness, the lambda calculus, and just about any programming
language you name.  He is way, way out there.  I just kind of give him space
to do whatever he needs.  The cool thing is - he's not cocky about it.  His
attitude is so great.  He just loves this stuff and is eager to share
whatever he has found.

So in the Computational Analysis class I am kind of bound to cover the
Analysis curriculum, but I've been given permission to do it using
computational approaches.  One of the things I've noticed is that though our
math courses are called 'Analysis', the texts all bear the title
'Precalculus'.  I find that interesting, as there really is a difference
between the terms.  'Precalc' tends to be an assortment of topics that one
might need in calculus, but 'Analysis' historically arose after calculus in
order to remove philosophical difficulties regarding continuity and
infinity.  So I've really focused on that as a theme - that here in the
digital/information age the power of the discrete has proven itself, but the
curriculum we study arose in an era that was concerned about continuity and
the real numbers.  I keep bringing up this continuous vs. discrete, or
analog vs. digital, theme as something relevant to think about.

During the first semester I focused mainly on programming in Python and
using it for sequences, series, combinatorics, Boolean stuff, different base
systems, and so on.  I of course used the Litvins' Digital
Age<http://www.skylit.com/mathandpython.html>for a lot of this.
Second semester I plan to use Sage more as the primary
tool and will get into trig and conics and other typical mathy things.

I could easily see doing a lot of the first semester stuff in a course
designated as 'Digital Math' that would not simply be a Finite Math dumping
ground.  That would be a such a great way to go.  But ... one thing at a
time.

- Michel

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM, kirby urner <kirby.ur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Per the log entry below, I've been rubbing elbows
> with Portlandia's "intelligencia" again (comic
> book allusion), thanks to Chairman Steve (and
> Elizabeth).
>
> Steve is walking towards my place as I write this,
> having just met with the latter, the event organizer.
>
> Methinks "digital math" is gaining on "discrete
> math" as what to decry as not being taught
> (the ongoing media campaign I've been
> updating y'all about).
>
> The latter has the disadvantage of sounding like
> "discreet", whereas "digital" has these nice
> reverberations with "analog" -- and that's precisely
> the distinction "discrete" was trying to make
> in keeping it quantized, as in "not continuous".
>
> People already know "analog vs digital" from
> popular media.  HDTV is digital.  Shows like
> 'The X-Files' get recorded as files, on magnetized
> disks keeping ones and zeros, or in flash drives.
> Analog records still sound good though; worth
> keeping a turntable and watching video clips
> about how they work.
>
> However, the reason this is probably not an
> important argument is zip codes (e.g. 97214)
> are free to vary as to what they adopt (or don't)
> in terms of nomenclature.
>
> We might tell parents: "the Silicon Forest is
> amazed and agog at how plugged up the
> STEM pipeline has become, like why won't
> schools share more digital math?", whereas in
> a neighboring state we might say something
> about how the lack of "computational thinking"
> is quite stunning (and stunting).
>
> Why Johnny Can't Code is still a classic, though
> I don't know why the author bothered to take an
> ill-informed swipe at Python.  Someone's partisan
> agenda I suppose **.
>
> http://radar.oreilly.com/2007/01/why-johnny-cant-program.html
>
> There's no need to standardize on "the one right
> way to talk" -- a sure way to get bogged down in
> nonsensical little arguments.
>
> OK, back to mathfuture.
>
> Oh yes, and the log entry:
> http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2011/02/open-secrets.html
>
> Steve will be joining you at Pycon soon.  I'm
> too booked up this year.  I forget if Michelle will
> be going, I think she said yes.
>
> Ah, Steve is here,
>
> Kirby Urner
> 4dsolutions.net
>

> Martian Math
> Digital Math
> Pythonic Math
> "Gnu" Math
>
> **
> "The "scripting" languages that serve as entry-level
> tools for today's aspiring programmers -- like Perl
> and Python -- don't make this experience accessible
> to students in the same way. BASIC was close enough
> to the algorithm that you could actually follow the
> reasoning of the machine as it made choices and
> followed logical pathways. Repeating this point
> for emphasis: You could even do it all yourself,
> following along on paper, for a few iterations,
> verifying that the dot on the screen was moving
> [...]

"Computer science is the new mathematics."

-- Dr. Christos Papadimitriou