Hi all,

I’ve been silently following this mailing list for a few years now and wanted
to share an online course that some colleagues and I have developed at the
University of Helsinki, Finland. The course is intended for Bachelor’s and
Master’s students in Geology and Geography, but introduces Python programming
assuming no previous programming experience. In other words, it could likely be
adapted for use by many different groups, even advanced high school students.
All of the course lesson materials and exercises are available freely online
(and in English), and you’re also most welcome to fork our GitHub repository
with the course materials and adapt them for your use. Below are a few links
you might find useful if you want to check it out.

Course website: https://geo-python.github.io
Course GitHub organisation: https://github.com/Geo-Python

We’re also currently working on a textbook that builds on the basic Python
materials and applies them to geographic data analysis. The book is expected to
be published later this year or in early 2022. It will also be available
online, and you’re welcome to check out the work in progress at
https://python-gis-book.readthedocs.io/en/develop/.

Just thought you folks might be interested, and if you have any questions or
feedback on the course (and book), please feel free to contact us via email.

Kind regards,

Dave Whipp - david.wh...@helsinki.fi
Henrikki Tenkanen - henrikki.tenka...@aalto.fi
Vuokko Heikinheimo - vuokko.heikinhe...@helsinki.fi

--
David M. Whipp, Professor

Institute of Seismology | Dept. of Geosciences and Geography | Univ. of Helsinki
Seismologian instituutti | Geotieteiden ja maantieteen osasto | Helsingin
yliopisto
+358 (0)2 941 51617 | www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/geodynamics |
twitter.com/HUGeodynamics