From: Sunshine Elite Education
Date: Sun, May 29, 2022 at 7:39 PM
Subject: Data Structure and Algorithms in Python: May 29: After Class Review

Greetings all --

Tonight's talk was about how those intricate little patches of symbols, in
math books, are pretty much algorithms, but in a pre-computer language. We
use letters for numbers because the recipes are for a whole variety of
inputs.  The gears turn, and we get our computed outputs.  That's been
going on since long before electronic computers.

My opening example involved computing the volume of a tetrahedron, regular
or irregular, on the basis of its edge lengths only, of which there are
six.  I showed the Cayley-Menger algorithm for computing that, which
involves taking the "determinant of a matrix" a topic in some high school
math curricula (e.g IB, AP) but not all.

Python's sympy was able to take that matrix and convert it to a lot of
terms under a radical sign (2nd root symbol).  Using plane nets, I was able
to compute the volume of:

* a regular tetrahedron of edges 1
* an "A module" (1/24th of the above)
* an "E module" (1/120th of a rhombic triacontahedron)

This is shoptalk from a niche geometry I specialize in studying.  I was
demonstrating how I make use of the same tools I'm teaching, when doing my
own geometry research.

Python and mathematics weave together in Jupyter Notebooks to give you
symbolic operations with sympy, plotting capability (graphing) with
matplotlib, and tabular data (pandas -- coming up).

During the 2nd half of the talk, we dove deep into Python's capabilities,
reviewing the role of __special_names__ ("__ribs__") via the Ornery class
<https://replit.com/@kurner/Ornery-Type>, and then diving into @properties,
which use @decorator syntax.

That magic circle source code we looked at is here:
https://github.com/4dsolutions/elite_school/blob/master/magic_circle_v2.py

Kirby

*Course Name*: Data Structure and Algorithms in Python
*Datetime*: 01/29-06/19 Wednesday,Sunday 6:00pm-7:00pm
*Location*: Online10

Thanks,
Sunshine Elite Education