hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 06.09.2006, 21:27 -0400 schrieb James McDermott:
> I finally got a good install, but I am wondering if the problems I had
> doing the normal install (with the install CD) was caused by the video
> card in the Dell Optiplex GX260 computers.
yes, they are.
the installer runs in a certain text videomode during installation, in
the installer step you described above the xserver package gets
installed. to get the values for your configuration it needs to probe
the available video hardware. it does that by starting an xserver in
different modes and checking the result. some boards are not able to
switch back to a proper console video mode after that (mostly through
buggy video BIOSes). dell seems to be a company with a tendency to use
such videoadapters.

there is an easy workaround for that problem, the install CD has a video
mode selection option (the F3 or F4 key iirc), usually selecting a
different videomode there fixes the reinitialisation after probe ...

ciao
        oli