On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 16:35 -0400, Jason Ryer wrote:
> Hola Mauricio,
>
> I think that your idea about managing content specifically for those
> that do not have internet and/or have older computers is an excellent
> idea. I have downloaded the wiki but unfortunately was unable to get
> it working due to errors when importing the database.

Which wiki? which DB?

for 'any' wiki, I'd totally suggest MoinMoin Desktop Edition which runs
on M$, OSX and Linux, by simply unpacking and executing it. :D

> However, being that we are working with schools throughout Bolivia and
> many without internet, it would be great to see a distribution that
> works for our needs. I am currently coordinating a shipment of P3s
> from the US here to Bolivia to distribute to various communities
> throughout Bolivia. It would be great to give these people a working
> sytem that includes such internet tools as wikipedia and edubuntu
> without the need for an internet connection. (As it currently stands,
> edubuntu is NOT equipped to install to Spanish without depending on an
> Internet connection.)

Believe me Jason, I am very interested on delivering a spanish-default
flavor of Edubuntu, even with spanish docs, spanish edu-content, and a
wikipedia CD. However, commited hands to achieve this from the
edu-oriented community are still very few and the lack of funding is
also an issue, esp. to deliver this once is ready to LAm countries.

Personally, at this moment, I don't even have machines to play with, not
even a server to test 'normal' edubuntu flights or stuff, just this thin
laptop which has recently survived a serious HD problem.

Maybe, it is time for me/us to write down some specs and see if we get
what we need.

However, I do not lose hope :D

Regards,

--

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
Tecnocimiento.cl

Cel: (56+8)749 6071

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.tecnocimiento.cl
www.fetchile.cl

PGP KEY: 1024D/2CAB0DE9  2006-07-20

| servidor: irc.freenode.net      |
| canal: #edubuntu | #edubuntu-es |
| nick: mhz                       |

"Si no puedo compartirlo contigo, entonces no lo quiero"

[Mail escrito sin acentos o caracteres especiales para
evitar conflictos de lectura entre clientes de correo]