After installing

http://www.morokeni.ch/edubuntu/gnome-watchdog_0.9.2_i386.deb

User's processes are now purged after they log out.  If they do not log
out, however, and just reboot the terminal, their processes continue to
run until they log in again.  At this point watchdog notes that they
already have running pid's and resets the user.  This works, and the
teacher observes that something similar was in place with the K12LTSP.

This is a pretty substantial bug, I believe.  The average user
integrating Edubuntu into a thin-client lab and expecting it to perform
reliably may not track down this fix.  Without gnome-watchdog, users who
log out have processes that continue to run throughout the day.  On days
when the teacher has 5 classes of 30 different students, the runaway
processes get out of control.

I installed prelink yesterday, after classes, and I am hoping that this
will improve performance.  I seem to recall Eric integrating this into
the K12LTSP.  The few test clients I tried loaded it much faster.

Last, I have followed these suggestions

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/28209/How_to_make_OpenOffice_run_faster_in_Ubuntu

and they made a monumental difference on my home machines.  I'll test
this in the lab next week.

Switching to a different window manager is not an option.  This teacher
has been running the K12LTSP since before Fedora was created.  I am
perpetually reminded that "it wasn't this way with the K12LTSP"  when
things are not quite the same.  I am doing my best to figure out all the
tweaks Eric H. and other integrated to make it great.

--scott