>> - tcm (thin client manager)
>>
>> Indeed this no longer exists, and I believe it has been discussed
>> about here before on various occasions. Italc has replaced thin client
>> manager as the software that should be run to control thin clients
>> from a centralised location. The new documentation reflects this (new
>> in intrepid ibex), and I agree it was confusing, but a quick jump to a
>> channel of importance (#ltsp primarily, but also #edubuntu) will give
>> you the answers you need. Or a search in google. To install it is
>> apt-get install italc-client
>>

> Is it just the docs that have been fixed for 8.10? As far as I can tell italc
> was broken on 8.04 and I needed to remove it. This is something that should
> be backported to the Long Term Support version.
> Thin Client Manager currently locks up on 8.04 as well.

As far as I have been able to tell, italc works great on 8.04+ (make
sure you have an up to date version of italc installed, and if it is
causing problems for you, let us know what they are and we can help.)
I personally use italc on 8.04 without issues... there are some tricks
though, like pointing to the clients u want via their server ip (as
mentioned in an email I sent a while back to the list):

The way to use italc with thin clients is adding 127.0.0.1 or localhost and
the portnumber 10000+last byte of IP. For example... the client IP I want to
connect to is:

192.168.0.15, then connecting to this user from the master Italc interface
would be:
localhost:10015

Some users have mentioned it requires the actual IP of the server (ie.
192.168.0.254)

TCM is no longer supported... don't use it...

I'm sure there are other fixes along with documentation now being up
to date, but most of the changes are LTSP centric (ie, people from
different distros work together and then port these ltsp changes to
all new distros.) In essence LTSP on Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian and Gentoo
and (though a little different, still based on the same work) Suse all
work the same because its the same code under the hood.

Whatever changes have been made to other items (gnome, X, open office,
firefox, etc) are related to the distribution you are using... and
whatever changes have happened to that distro.

>> - port forwarding
>>
>> The reason this is not built in is because no one knows how the
>> network structure looks like at a particular location. There could be
>> many different setups, but the documentation tells you how to easily
>> do this in the most common way (this has been in documentation for a
>> while now):
>>

> Agreed. I have a separate IPcop box for content filtering, port forwarding,
> intrusion detection, etc.
>
>> - lts.conf file
>>
>> This is where LTSP gets complex, and its the same across ALL
>> distributions... If you don't know how to create a file, then it is
>> not recommended you touch a lts.conf file. Increasingly, reliance on
>> this file has been diminished to the point that in MOST setups the
>> lts.conf file is not really required. But if it is, a quick read
>> through the documentation will show you an example file and where it
>> should go.
>>

> I've got a couple of 3 year old Dell workstations that need their video
> explicitly set in lts.conf
> I have to set printer servers in lts.conf. I'm still using lts.conf to do my
> load balancing.
> It would be great if I didn't have to edit this file, but I don't see it
> going away any time soon.
>
> And the skeleton file that tells you to read the documentation points to a
> documentation file that doesn't exist. Instead you get to search through the
> ubuntu website to find the parameters and examples.

For any fine tuning, lts.conf is indeed the place to do that, and like
you say, won't be going away any time soon, but has been automated to
the maximum extent possible. video _should_ work an most thin clients
out of the box, if it doesn't let us know the video card in question
so we can take a look.

The documentation now presents all the possible values that can be put
in lts.conf, if you find there are items required, let us know and
we'll add them...
Can u let us know what non existent file its pointing to, so we can fix that?

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche