Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008, Luis Montes wrote:
>

>> I have a school that's been down now for 2 days. It's an 8.04 edubuntu
>> setup. Single server (8 core, 16 GB ram, 32 bit server kernel). Just
>> using local user accounts and homes.
>>
>> The thing is taking a couple of minutes to authenticate.  I just spent a
>> day getting the server passed "starting gnome display manager" by
>> switching to the frame buffer for X.
>>

> Is it always the same amount of time or does it seem like you're waiting
> for a busy system to respond?
>

>> Now, even on the server itself it takes a very long time authenticate,
>> and even sudo times out.
>>
>> Something must have changed on an update.  We can't go another week of
>> having the whole school down.
>>

> Can you login to the text terminal on the server (press <Ctrl><alt><F1>)
> and run the commands "uptime" and free and send us the output.  Is the disk
> light on the machine flashing a lot?
>
> If you run "top", are there programs hogging the cpu?
>
> Gavin

I wasn't able to authenticate on a text terminal either, so I couldn't
run top to see what was going on. The disks weren't really spinning much
either.

Then about ten minutes later something freed up, and I'm in now.  No
idea what it was, but with 8 x 2GHz cores and 16 gigs of ram, you'd
think it would be able to get through standard ubuntu init stuff without
issues.

Related to my first problem though, why are the thin clients dependent
on the server being able to launch gdm itself? X on the server shouldn't
even be necessary.

Luis