Hi,

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Ken Campbell wrote:

> I have set up an ubuntu server to act as proxy server (tinyproxy) and
> content filter(DansGuardian) for one of my elementary schools. The
> configuration off of the LTSP site utilizes firehol and works great for
> edubuntu thin clients on the lan (proxy works, DG content filter works, etc)
> However, this server is not an ltsp server. It is used in a school
> environment for proxy service and content filtering only. I am asking for
> help in allowing all clients on the LAN to point to the proxy port and thus
> have content filtered by DG. Firehol as configured for LTSP situation does
> not give LAN clients access to the proxy box. This is my initial exposure to
> firehol and hope someone has been there done that.

Proxies commonly run on tcp port 8080 or 3128.  If you figure out what port
it is, you'll need to allow connections from the local network to that port
on the proxy server.  You then need to allow the firewall itself to connect
out over tcp port 80, 443 and possible 8000 so it can get the webpages.

After that, you need to configure the web browsers to look at the proxy on
hostname and port.

A couple of more manageable ways to do this are:

1. Set up a dns name wpad.your.network and create a file wpad.dat at
        http://wpad.your.network/wpad.dat
   then you can set browsers to autodetect settings.

2. Create a proxy.pac file on a web server somewhere on the network and
   point your browsers at that.

3. Set up transparent proxying, so no configuration on the browser is
   necessary at all.

Any of the above will allow you to change the proxy settings in the future
without reconfiguring every browser on the network (which you really don't
want).  Configure one browser by hand to verify it works, but then I'd
suggest doing one of the above to deploy it across the network.

Gavin