I'm using fat clients with 10.04 and it's fairly painless, even with a
lab that's split between fat and thin. I'm going to try upgrading to
11.04 after school gets out (on Thursday, yikes!), but I've been very
pleased with how easy it is to add new packages, upgrade, etc. (I do
wish there were fewer steps, but I suppose I could write a script to
help with that.)

I can't remember what I did to get LDAP to work on the fat clients--I
think it was enough to get LDAP working on the server, because the fat
clients log in through the server, then become independent machines,
but I can't remember at this point.

I'm going to be in and out of my lab working on a project all summer,
so I'd be happy to help out. I actually use a vanilla Ubuntu distro
with LTSP, rather than Edubuntu, but it feels as if Edubuntu has
become more a theme and set of packages than a separate distro.

Let me know what I can do to help!
Todd